For people suffering from Orthostatic Intolerance, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia, Mast Cell Activtation or EDS. Follow me as I document my struggle towards better health.

Day Seven

It is Sunday today and Day Seven of my experience with Dr. Levine's exercise protocol.  Friday and Saturday, Days Five and Six respectively I couldn't exercise.  I was too tired and well...I was just too tired.  My blood pressure is more unstable than normal and walking, at times, is extremely difficult.

Today I went to the YMCA early this morning.  I forgot the attachment receiver that snaps onto my Polar chest strap heart monitor which was a nuisance.  Luckily the YMCA had Polar chest straps to lend out to customers.  My work-out consisted of a 10 minute warm-up on the recumbent cycle, keeping my heart rate below 120, a 30 minute work-out on the Concept 2 rower heart rate above 120 and below 140, and then finally a 10 minute cool down on the bike again lowering my heart rate to below 120.

Since I forgot my own heart rate receiver which links to my fancy Polar watch I couldn't work out on the rowing machine which doesn't have a built in receiver so I did the entire workout on the bike which does have a receiver and is connected to the YMCA's Technogym system.  As usual, the warm-up went ok then the next 15 minutes were HORRIBLE.  I felt like I was going to fall off the bike, my head was going to explode and I was going to die from a stroke/heart attack or something.  The next 15 minutes were better and the final 10 minutes I was ok.

At the end, when I got off the bike I looked like a 90 year old getting off a horse after a long ride.  I couldn't sustain my BP at all.  Rising from the floor, bent over double and clutching various workout machines I was able to stagger to the chair at the Fitness Consultant's desk at the front of the room next to the stairs.  There, I sat down and politely asked if I could have a print-out of my week's workouts (the YMCA have a fancy workout recording system called Technogym which should capture all my workout info including heart rate).  The fitness consultant said she couldn't actually print it out but could let me look at my workouts on the screen...which she did.  I thanked her after reviewing my wonderful progress on the screen  and I was able to get out of her chair and very carefully make my way, still bent over double, to the changeroom.

Tiffany, from Dr. Levine's team, did say I was going to feel worse before getting better so here I am feeling worse.  But soldier on I will.

What I have learned so far: I need to document my workouts AND my diet each day as I can't remember what I did or ate.  I forget sometimes how terrible my memory is :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment